Wednesday, October 21, 2020

#2398 "Searching for Franklin"


This is the treed shore of Franklin Island in the Parry Sound Archipelago. The forest was thick right down to the edge of the water. It would be challenging to find anyone in that forest even though it was on an island. It was hard to find the island for the trees...

The name of the island and the date made me think of two famous, missing people and that helps to explain the cryptic name of the painting. I first considered this painting on July 16th which was the date when Tom Thomson's body was discovered. I had chores to do so it took me another couple of days to actually start to paint. It was July 18th when I finally got to paint. 

It was a very hot and humid day. The bugs were not bad though. I retreated into the studio. The location of this scene is very near N45.382501 W80.341335. 

This is another Ro-Lak-Tree (a name I made up) Painting. It is a nature stewardship game that the Group of Seven invented while they were searching for the Canadian identity around the time of the 1918 Flu Pandemic. I am repeating that adventure of painting Canadian rocks, lakes and trees during COVID 2019. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay"

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay" 14x18 inches oils on stretched canvas  Started Friday March 29th, 2024  The titl...