Sunday, August 7, 2022

#2667 "Blue Columbine Wildflowers and Friends"

#2667 "Blue Columbine Wildflowers and Friends"
9.25x10.25 inches oils on panel

I encourage wildflowers in our sanctuary. 

These blue columbine flowers cover large portions of the marble ridge. The blue-white blossoms are a favourite among the birds and the bees. Bumble bees were really active on the clump of flowers right in front of me as I painted. The natural sugars and pollen of real flowers are really best for their diet. There were several other plants and even maple saplings growing within that clump of inspiration. These are the friends that I alluded to in the title. 

The sounds of nature were almost loud. Loons, red-bellied woodpeckers (that sounded like tree frogs), bull frogs... everyone had something to say. 

We were in the warm sector of a large and unstable weather system. The southerly winds were bringing in hot and moist air. I had to cover up with my hat and long sleeved painting shirt to protect my skin. I needed the sunglasses as well. The extra clothing including pants were protection against the biting insects but my dragonfly air force kept them at bay. I rarely sit down to paint en plein air but the flowers were so low to the ground that I had too in this case. I had to retreat for a cooler environment after finishing this group of wild flowers. 

Sadly if you simply Google "columbine" one gets pages of links about something very different than flowers. I will stick with the original botanical links that I found. Sad. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay"

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay" 14x18 inches oils on stretched canvas  Started Friday March 29th, 2024  The titl...