Wednesday, August 10, 2022

#2668 "Midday Singleton Daisies"

#2668 "Midday Singleton Daisies"
10.25 x 9.25 oil panel

It was a sunny day at least until the line of thunderstorms arrived.

I figured that I had enough quiet time to paint some daisies. I was alone in the Singleton Sanctuary, the ultimate in quiet and at peace. My palette was getting messy but I did not wish to take the time to scrape it and start afresh. Time is limited and precious. 

While painting, I pondered back to the summer of 1915 when Tom Thomson painted "Wildflowers". Tom was frustrated with his efforts. He apparently flipped his brush around and used the pointed end to scratch an "X" in the surface of the wet paint. There are other scratches as well in that surface but the big "X" was clearly an expression that he was not pleased. Tom's painting did hit the mark, the bulls eye so to speak, although he could not see it at the time. 

After I finished this painting, I headed for my swim in Jim Day Rapids. A loon surfaced just ten feet away while I swam. It knew me, made eye contact and hovered around for several minutes before diving further into Long Reach. This reminded me of a previous nickname "Dances with Bees" and perhaps an additional, humourous moniker might apply - "Swims with Loons". 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...