Saturday, September 15, 2018

#2118 "Harmony Beach Fog and Drizzle"

This was my first day on the eastern shores of Lake Superior after leaving my friends of the Southampton Art School's Wind Waves and Weather 2018. I wanted to thoughtfully retrace the steps of some artists and paddlers that I admire.

It stopped raining after completing #2117 "Harmony Beach Fog and Rain" from the shelter of the hatch of the Subaru Forester so I grabbed a smooth 5x7 burnt sienna. I went to the beach again but this time looked south. The fog had thickened up again and the scene I sketched at the start disappeared into the pea soup advection fog. Even the sea gulls were grounded.

There were still a few tiny black flies but nothing bad. There was also one mosquito. If you can count the biting insects then plein air is still quite tolerable. The warm air mass of Alberto turned into advection fog over the frigid water of Lake Superior. I figured that the lake temperature was close to 4 or 5 Celsius.

After finishing #2118 "Harmony Beach Fog and Drizzle" I headed back north on Highway 17. I stopped at a northern resort for lunch before entering Lake Superior Provincial Park. Tourist season was still a month away. It was all closed up but the owner came out and I asked if the restaurant was open. He said it could be. I asked what he liked to make in his restaurant. He said lots of stuff. I asked if he made fish and chips... no, not that. It is a restaurant for burgers and hot dogs. So I had a cheeseburger. He was a grizzled old guy but probably younger than me. He said there was internet but I was not able to connect. A couple from Germany came in on their motor cycle for a meal. The restaurant business was booming.
 For this and much more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2848 "Singleton Bald Eagles"

#2848 "Singleton Bald Eagles" 20x16 inches oils on stretch canvas Started Monday March 25st, 2024 It is a challenge to put a smile...