Monday, August 19, 2019

#0552 "Deep Woods Barn Owl"

This is a 4-month-old female barn owl raised in captivity and displayed at the Burdette Gallery Fall Show, Saturday October 13th, 2001. I was there with my art and did some photography of this barn owl and the other birds of prey on display. I don't enjoy painting from photos anymore but sometimes, it is unavoidable. I've never seen a barn owl in the wild and this one was sitting right in front of me. The range of the barn owl barely edges into southern Ontario.

The jack pine and white pine background is from the front yard at Watershed Farm on the 12th Concession of King Township. I wanted to get the feel of the thick woods without painting every needle. Once again, I played ball with the family Chesapeake at the same time. It kept me and the oils pretty loose.

The colours of this painting come alive in the dark ... just like the owl.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.
 For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...