Thursday, November 14, 2019

#2291 "Georgian Bay Deformation Zone"

The curious humming bird returned to hover a foot in front of my face again. We were already friends. It visited the marigold flowers for breakfast. They move too fast for any pictures when I am busy painting.

Another September system was on the way. The ridge of high pressure was not very large. I did not want to squander a moment of time as more rain was on the way but probably not for another twelve hours or so. In addition, art is work and I am certainly no slacker.

The high and thin cirrostratus marked the deformation zone of the next system. The cirrus was not even white and I used ultramarine blue to tell that part of the weather story. Book end vorticties of cloud were pushing westward overhead. These curls of cloud were frontlit and bright. The easterly wind driving these clouds could have been partly overnight land breezes or they could have been part of the cold conveyor belt. What I found surprising was that the clouds over Georgian Bay had a southerly component and were moving along at a fair clip. Only the heads of the stratocumulus clouds were frontlit enough to be bright white. The winds driving these clouds could have been southeasterly. The trails of these stratocumulus fragments were dark grey. I painted what I saw and even though I might not fully understand the science, I did appreciate the beauty and the colours. The cloud patterns more or less conformed to the conveyor belt conceptual model which I try to apply in all weather situations.
For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...