Sunday, May 24, 2020

#2338 "Sunday Sunrise"

This is the first in the 2020 Singleton Skyscape series. The weather and subjects would come to me and being self-quarantined, I was ready to paint on. This was my normal lifestyle anyway so I embraced the opportunity to be quiet and slow and to appreciate the natural beauty of nature. I also started to write a series that would explain the vocabulary of lines and swirls in the sky. The first post was "Cloud Shapes and Lines in the Atmosphere:Cloud Shapes and Lines in the Atmosphere".
Every adversity offers an opportunity and I was not going to let the chance pass me by.

The sky was full of contrail cirrus. The impacts COVID-19 had yet to have an impact on the airlines. The sun was on my back and it felt good even though the temperature was a chilly minus 6 Celsius. The winds were out of the north from a ridge of high pressure. What should have been a clear sky was not. The thin cirrus became invisible as the sun angles got higher but the cloud and ice crystals were still there turning the blue sky a bit more grey. The colours were fleeting and I had to finish this in the studio.

The water vapour images reveal that the upper atmosphere was certainly moist. The hang-back deformation zone of the comma head had not yet cleared eastern Ontario. The moisture would aid in the creation of these long lived cirrus contrails. By afternoon the skies were a bit more blue.

I remembered it was the Ides of March as well as I painted. The jet streaks reminded me of the stabs that did Caesar in. Caesar was apparently stabbed 23 times. Aside from being March 15th, the other linkage to the story of the assassination of Cesar were the numerous contrails slicing through what should have been blue sky with only thin water vapour overhead - no clouds. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...