Sunday, March 14, 2021

#2459 "Fallen Maple Monarch"


After completing #2458 "Sugar Maple Majesty", I walked a few paces to the east along the ridge of maples. 

This particular sugar maple had already tumbled. A smaller second stem from the original tree was still standing. This maple had a total, two stem circumference of 162 inches (13.5 feet) at 36 inches above the ground. Simple math gives the diameter of this tree of about 51.6 inches - more than 4 feet across. I had cut a trail in the fallen trunk so that I got direct the walking path past a very old ironwood tree which I plan to paint someday. 

The circumference of this fallen stem about 3 feet down from where I cut open the trail was 96 inches (8 feet) with a diameter of 30.6 inches. The nature of the Singleton Sanctuary has used this path a lot. Tracks of deer, coyotes, fox, bobcats and turkeys were clearly written in the fresh snowfall. 

My hands and feet were getting very chilly and I painted with some rapidity. The sun was still on my back although I could see the cloud just to the southwest. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...