Saturday, April 24, 2021

#2475 "Mid February Morning at Jim Day Rapids"


The morning dawned at minus 18 Celsius but the sun was brilliant. I decided to trudge through the deep snow and look over the colours of Jim Day Rapids. A pair of black ducks were in the open water and I was concerned that I would scare them off. To my surprise, they kept dabbling in the current although they kept an eye or two on me. I heard the chatter of the belted kingfisher that had come back too early a couple of days before. Chickadees buzzed me since I was wearing the same wardrobe as the Bird Man Feeding Station. The nuthatches also chirped their electronic song. 

I started to paint at 10:45 am when the temperature had reached minus 10 Celsius. The sun made it feel much warmer. Some cumulus actually developed as I painted which surprised me greatly. The colour of the open water of Jim Day Rapids was really dark. There will be no swimming for a few months yet. The long title was picked so there would be no duplicate names in my portfolio. The word "mid" also applies to mid month and mid morning.  

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing"

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing" 20x16 inches oils on canvas. Start Monday, April 15th, 2024 I could almost hear the song of the sparrow ...