Tuesday, October 5, 2021

#2538 "Portsmouth Harbour Blue Sailboat"


The International Plein Air Painters (IPAP) was a direct response to the tragedy of 911. Something positive and constructive needed to arise from those ashes. Art is really the universal language that transcends political boundaries and cultures in a creative way. (my IPAP link)

IPAP was founded in Niagara Falls, Canada by my friend Jacq Baldini to be inclusive of global artists without any restrictions of borders on Oct 19, 2001. I am the only Charter and Signature with Honours Member of IPAP.  In September of 2002, IPAP had its 1st Worldwide Paint Out. Each year the International Plein Air Painters Worldwide Paint Out has been held the second weekend of September to honour those lost on 911 and to point a positive way forward. I have painted on each and every one of those Paint Outs.  

The Kingston School of Art (KSOA) has been organizing Paint the Town in conjunction the International Plein Air Painters Worldwide Paint Out since 2013. They do a fantastic job of coordination and I have been painting with them since 2014 on this very special weekend. 

This was the first morning of Paint the Town 2021. The historic Portsmouth Harbour area of Kingston was the Olympic site and where I started my meteorological career back in 1976 after having graduated from Queen's University. I was looking for something nostalgic or colourful among the boats tied to the Portsmouth Harbour wharves. Time was on the essence and I picked something blue and green rather quickly so as not to lose the morning light. I even drove out on the wharf to shorten the distance and speed up the process. I was unobtrusive. 

I took off my reading glasses for the entire Paint-out weekend. I did not want to be tempted by any detail. As well, it is possible to regain your distance acuity by simply not using your glasses while outside. 

Historic Portsmouth Harbour area of Kingston

Fine Art America and Pixels help to spread this art around the world - completing and complementing the IPAP mission. For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...