Thursday, November 4, 2021

#2548 "Wolfe Island Unstable Warm Winds"


This was the sunrise on the third and last morning of the International Plein Air Painters Worldwide Paint Out 2021. The global paint out was in conjunction with the Kingston School of Art (KSOA) and Paint the Town. 

I thought that I would start painting a series of weather observations. The sky and inland seas of Lake Ontario were going to be the most exciting part of the turbulent morning. 

I continued painting weather observations. The small and smooth panels encouraged me to just lay the correct colours in and then leave them alone. I started this observation at 8:30 am as the cloud of the warm conveyor belt was becoming thicker. 


The conveyor belt was peppered with convective cells so the weather was not particularly neat and tidy. I had to paint what I saw because I was confident that the reality of nature was correct. I simply scratched the blades of the wind turbines on Wolfe Island into the wet paint. I also included the end of the pier at Portsmouth Harbour. That walkway was fenced off for some reason - probably related to safety and liability. I would have loved to paint from that walkway. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...