Monday, November 15, 2021

#2552 "Cumulus Congestus in the Rain"

#2552 "Cumulus Congestus in the Rain" 10"12"

This was the the third and last morning of the International Plein Air Painters Worldwide Paint Out 2021. The global paint out was in conjunction with the Kingston School of Art (KSOA) and Paint the Town. I thought that I would start painting a series of weather observations. The turbulent sky and waves of the inland seas of Lake Ontario were going to be the most exciting part of the morning. 

I continued painting weather observations - this one was started at 10:30 am on a 10 x12 canvas. The convective clouds were continuing to develop and this cumulus congestus was certainly producing a heavy rain shower over Wolfe Island. A companion convective cloud produced a heavy rain shower of Portsmouth Harbour. The rain was dripping down the canvas. I retreated under the shelter of the hatch of the Subaru Forester during the heaviest portion of the shower. I had coated the canvas with some linseed oil in anticipation of the rain so that my oils would still stick to the surface. I concentrated on getting the shapes and colours correct. There was no time for any thought of details as the weather changed so very quickly. One minute the filtered morning light was bright and the next it was dark with heavy rain. I painted my observation during one of the brief bright periods. 

The bright, violet circles are the
tops of strong convection

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...