Thursday, December 2, 2021

#2559 "Singleton Chairs"

#2559 "Singleton Chairs" 11x14

I was on a reconnaissance paddle around Singleton Lake checking out the loons on Wednesday September 29th, 2021. The lake was very quiet. The weather had turned colder but the water was still warm enough for swimming. I love this type of cloudy, early morning sky with just me, my paddle and my canoe. 

This pair of Muskoka chairs were vacant. I was thinking that the furniture should be renamed as Singleton Chairs or perhaps even Frontenac Arch Chairs. They look more comfortable than Muskoka Chairs. Muskoka does not have anything over the beauty of the Frontenac Arch Biosphere and Singleton Lake in particular. I do not know who placed those comfortable chairs there or who uses them. It was a quiet, secluded and dark place in the lee of the steep marble cliffs. They would have been witness to the sunset during the middle of summer but otherwise this location would not have seen very much light. In fact I had never seen anyone in those chairs although it certainly is a prime location to catch the last rays of the sun in mid summer. 

The steep, marble rocks on this secluded shoreline also recorded the widely varying water levels. The persistent water levels were etched on the rocks. Those chairs would have been in the water during the spring flood. The etchings are not time stamped unfortunately so we do not really know exactly when these extremes occurred and reoccurred. The water levels are typically low in the autumn and I am not sure why. The hydro dam at Marble Rock is the only obstacle in the flow. The last serious flooding that I recall was the spring of 2014.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2852 "Male Belted Kingfisher"

#2852 "Male Belted Kingfisher" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 3th, 2024 The Belted Kingfishers are a favourite bird wit...