Thursday, July 14, 2022

#2656 "Oxtongue Morning Empty Chairs"

#2656 "Oxtongue Morning Empty Chairs"
16x20 oils

I wanted to revisit a favourite small panel and turn it into a larger format. 

I painted #2043 "Oxtongue Sunrise" on Sunday November 19th, 2017 in the Singleton Studio in front of a merry fire in the wood stove. It was much hotter day on May 11th, 2022 as Singleton switched from winter to summer in just a day. I would go for the first swim of 2022 later on that afternoon. 

This is the view looking northeast toward the early morning sun from out in the lake at 7:30 am on Sunday the 24th of September 2017. There was no one else around. I waded out into Oxtongue Lake with the water up past my waist. It would have been problematic to position my easel from this vantage point. There was some morning fog cloaking the distant hillsides. 

The Muskoka chairs were still empty. I inserted a dove grey canoe within the shadows of the floating dock. Tom Thomson's actual canoe probably was simply added to the fleet of Shannon Fraser's vessels for the visitor's to Mowat Lodge to enjoy. No record was made to state precisely where Tom's canoe actually went but it is unlikely it turned up at the dock on Oxtongue Lake in 2017 - a hundred years after he disappeared. My canoes are cherished friends to be respected and cared for and I am sure that Tom felt the same way. 

The first autumn colours were lighting up the deciduous forest of Algonquin Provincial Park in the fall of 2017. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...