Monday, July 18, 2022

#2658 "October Narrows 2021"

#2658 "October Narrows 2021"
7.75 x 7.75 by 1/4 inch oils on panel

The Narrows is an iconic hamlet of Red Horse Lake and a suburb of Lyndhurst, Ontario. I wanted to do another painting of the the tiny village on a small and slippery surface. I placed a red canoe at Bill's dock. The narrow channel leading into the larger basin of Red Horse Lake is hidden between the rocks on the right side of the panel. 

Bird's eye view of the Narrows and the
view looking northeast from 2658
On Long Point it's known as Rice's Narrows, and the adjacent granite knob to the north is "Rice's Mountain", after Joel and Melinda Rice who were the first settlers there. In Lyndhurst it's called Weeks's Narrows after Harvey and George Weeks who farmed there later. When our local historian (Art) was a kid, he prided myself in being able to go through there in my speedboat without slowing down. These recollections would be lost if it was not for the efforts of our local historians who fully understand the value of place, people and memories. I hope I have these memories correct. I will gladly add more if anyone has some memories to share. 

I painted the Narrows before in #1399 "Red Horse Narrows", #1611 "Red Horse Narrows", #1744 "Autumn Narrows", #2658 "October Narrows 2021" and #2669 "Long Reaching into Red Horse". I even called two by the same name (1399 and 1611) ... something I try very hard not to do but it obviously happens. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...