Saturday, December 17, 2022

#2722 "Red Oak and Black Cherry in the Singleton Sanctuary"

#2722 "Red Oak and Black Cherry in the Singleton Sanctuary"
6x6 by 3/4 inches oils on canvas

Colder air was on its way. Snowsqualls had developed across the Great Lakes overnight. But it was a sunny morning at Singleton and I decided to spend it outside with my oils. 

It was too windy and cold on the lake shore so I walked into the relative protection of the Singleton forest. I did not have to go very far before I found something to catch my eye. 

The red oak on the left was healthy, straight and tall. The black cherry on the right was struggling. Some of the upper branches had already come crashing down. A neighbouring black cherry had fallen a couple of years previously. The bark of the two trees is distinctive and decidedly different. 

The snowsqualls would penetrate further inland with daytime heating and instability so there was no time to waste. The sun felt great on my back but that would be short-lived. I did put my cotton gloves on as the near-freezing temperatures felt chilly even with the light breeze in the forest. 

There is almost no detail as I purposely take my glasses off while doing plein air. It is helpful to not see the unnecessary details and it saves me from squinting. 

I heard the trumpeter swans in the distance possible on Little Mud Lake. I hear them most often when I am out en plein air surrounded by nature.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...