Thursday, June 22, 2023

#2776 "First Daisies of June"

#2778 "First Daisies of June"
7x5 inches oils on canvas panel

These were indeed the first daisies to come out in flower. Daisies can be found everywhere throughout the Singleton Sanctuary. The white flowers put on a show all summer long. We encourage them although most think of them solely as an invasive weed. 

The reference books tell me that Leucanthemum vulgare, the ox-eye daisy or oxeye daisy is a widespread flowering plant native to Europe and the temperate regions of Asia and an introduced plant to North America, Australia and New Zealand. It is one of a number of family Asteraceae plants to be called a "daisy", and has the additional vernacular names common daisy, dog daisy and moon daisy. 

I try to paint a daisy every year. They are happy flowers. I do not count the petals. I was having fun. A nostalgic song was going through my mind as I painted: "Where have all the Daisies Gone? Long time passing." Wars just never stop coming..

The anticyclonic wind out of the high-pressure area blew my easel over… twice… It was a challenge to control my brush. The sun was on my back and it was a beautiful day.

Turtles were crawling apparently aimlessly all around me. Three turtle nests were protected but if you take your eyes off them for a minute, they vanish like Ninja Turtles. Any unsheltered nests are predated during the night mainly by raccoons. I managed to protect ten turtle nests in 2023 which is my average. The predators got the rest. 

A raccoon supper foiled... 

I probably meet all of these turtles every year. They are my friends. I even briefly saw a Blandings. "Where have all the turtles gone… long time passing." All eight of the species of turtles in Ontario and indeed Canada, have been designated as "Species at Risk". Habitat destruction has played a major role in the decline of turtles. We see wetlands destroyed and lost forever every day as developers and ploticians lust for more. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...