Saturday, December 9, 2023

#1330 "Mouth of the Saugeen"

#1330 "Mouth of the Saugeen"
8x10 oils on canvas 
Started 11:30 am Tuesday August 20th, 2013.
Painting place on Scubby`s Bluff overlooking the mouth
of the Saugeen River at N44.50137 W81.37251.

I was spending a week at the Southampton Art School in the summer of 1913. Two different classes ran back to back. It was fun! 

This was another 37-minute or 37-stroke experiment intermixed with assisting my fellow participants in "Making Waves in Oil". There is no good reason to limit the exercise to 37 minutes except that 37 is a prime number. I think I went over on my number of brush strokes but no one was counting - especially me. 

This view is looking across the harbour mouth of the Saugeen River from Scubby`s Bluff at Southampton toward Chantry Island and the famous life-saving light. The composition was a group consensus and we all had a go at it before the sun started to glare into one's eyes. The sun was very strong in the cloudless skies. 

I wanted to capture the feeling of the place without painting every stone or blade of grass.  There is nothing like painting outside!

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. For more Southampton art, visit Collections

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...