Saturday, August 24, 2024

#2865 "Road from Lac du Brochet to Sheerway"

#2865 "Road from Lac du Brochet to Sheerway"
10 by 8 inches oils on stretched canvas
2:30 pm Monday July 29th, 2024

I was on my way to CPAWS DRAW 2024. After completing #2864 "Log Jam at Lac du Brochet", I simply turned my gaze to look westerly toward the mid afternoon sun. The road passed through a tunnel in the forest and looked a bit better heading in that direction. 

The screen of trees protected my eyes from the blazing sun. It was going to be hot and humid for a few days at DRAW 2024 until the cold front would arrive later in the week. 

I was interested in the silhouettes of the trees cast across the sandy lane. The shadows were cool while the dusty road baked in the July sun. My DRAW friends passed by on their way to John's Cabin while I painted. I would follow them when the painting was completed and hopefully find the correct turn-off. They promised to put up a sign that I could not miss. Oops... 

After completing "Road from Lac du Brochet to Sheerway", I poked along the rough lane after my friends. It was farther and took longer than I expected. Some of the road was treacherous and then suddenly I broke out into a large open field of manicured lawn - the DuMoine River, Rod & Gun Club

I met Gary and his family, realizing that I had passed my destination. They did not know where John's Cabin was either but promised to get me there. Most families seem to have four-wheelers in the Zec Dumoine. Gary hopped on his machine and I followed him. Gary also had GPS on his phone. All of the potential sites for John's Cabin were eliminated except for two possibilities after a couple of passes along the road to Sheerway. Gary even helped me unload my canoe and pointed me in the direction that I needed to paddle. 

Being a meteorologist, I have found that there is always a bright side to every cloud. The missing signpost directed me to the opportunity to meet some terrific people that I would have otherwise never known. The kindness and hospitality of the DuMoine River folks were wonderful! 

I paddled across the Dumoine River to find John's Cabin. Success! Everyone was very busy getting ready for the participants who would arrive the following day. 

This is the second of thirty-five paintings I completed en plein air at CPAWS DRAW 2024. It was a wonderful experience with a terrific group of people. https://cpaws-ov-vo.org/draw-retreat-artists/ A portion of sales from this endeavour will go to support CPAW and keep the 'wild' in the wilderness.  

For this and much more art, click on Pixels or go straight to the Collections. Here is the new Wet Paint 2024 Collection. Here is the link to the CPAWS DRAW Collection. 

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2876 "Dumoine Cumulus Congestus with Virga"

#2876 "Dumoine Cumulus Congestus with Virga" Oils on canvas panel 5 X 7 (inches). Started 11:30 am Wednesday, July 31st, 2024 from...