Monday, May 7, 2018

#0089 "Off-Season"

From 1978...
This looked like an abandoned lobster pot at Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia in the winter of 1978-1979. The strong winds that frequent the coast might have blown it off the nearby stack of lobster traps. Things like that happen when there is a lot of weather. However I had carefully lifted this lobster pot from the stack beside the fishing hut. I did not wish to paint a thousand lobster traps. After taking a few pictures I placed it back on top. A fisherman was parked in his idling pick-up truck just down the lane and watched me carefully as I examined it. I think he was afraid that I intended to steal it. I only wanted to look at it. This painting was the result.

This is another look at the same lobster pot that I painted in #0065 "Abandoned in the Snow". The lighting and orientation are very different. I rarely if ever paint the same thing twice.

I would have painted this in the guest bedroom on the southwest corner of our apartment in the Woodlawn Mall area of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. That studio was in the process of being turned into a nursery.

I was still quite enjoying the weather of the Maritimes and learning as much as I could about real meteorology. Real cloud patterns and precipitation do not result from from intersections of Venn diagrams. Real weather was much more complicated that mathematical constructs. Imagery from satellites were just becoming available every now and again. I could see that these offered the future to finding the simplicity of real weather from the apparent complexity. Never stop learning...
 For this and much more art...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...