Thursday, July 25, 2019

#2247 "2019 Daisies"

It was a sunny day behind the cold front and I had some time. I like to paint daisies. They are very forgiving flowers. A few sometimes very rough strokes and they are done. To try to make them perfect would rob them of their vitality. I try to encourage them at Singleton even though some consider them a weed. The Oxeye Daisy is certainly not native but is now found almost everywhere in North America. There are not more than two thousand daisies in this painting... I actually did not count them either. Mario Airomi even laughed when I counted the folds in the accordion of #0007 "Accordion Player" back in 1970.

I did count the petals after painting and came up with 33. I thought that was odd that nature would not have an even number of petals but as an artist, I should not have tallied them anyway. After all I was painting the daisy impression and the way they make me feel. .

Summer arrived at at 11:54 am EDT (1554 GMT) while I was painting. June 21 was going to be the longest day of the year as well as the shortest night. The sun reached the point at which it is farthest north of the celestial equator just before noon. Summer solstice occurs when the sun appears to shine directly overhead for a viewer stationed on the Tropic of Cancer (latitude 23.5 degrees north).

The daisy is classified as a noxious weed. It is difficult to control or eradicate, since a new plant can regenerate from rhizome fragments and is a problem in pastures where beef and dairy cattle graze will generally not eat it and thus enable it to spread. Ox-eye daisy is a host for several viral diseases affecting crops. Oh my...

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.
 For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...