Friday, November 8, 2019

#2286 "Georgian Bay Shelf Cloud"

A friend invited me to his cottage so that he could reveal the real Parry Sound and the 30,000 Islands of the Georgian Bay Archipelago. Archipelago is a fancy geographical term for a chain or group of islands scattered across a body of water. Canine Cove on Parry Island was home base for a few days and I painted and explored with my friend.

Heavy rain was on the way. There was not much time to paint but I had come to Parry Sound to paint up a storm. That is what I planned to do. I watched the shelf cloud getting closer during a fine breakfast of farm fresh egg omelette with all the fillings. I thought there was enough time to stand on the dock and capture the feel of the storm before it arrived. I was done by 9:20 am just when the convective downpours arrived. There was some distant thunder as I retreated to the Canine Cove Cottage. I did not get wet. Sometimes it pays to be a meteorologist.

The body of water that gives the town its name was surveyed and named by Captain Henry Bayfield in the 19th century. Captain Bayfield named the area in honour of the Arctic explorer Sir William Edward Parry. The modern townsite was established In 1857 near the Ojibwa village of Wasauksing which means "shining shore" which was located at the mouth of the Seguin River.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...