Monday, October 19, 2020

#2397 "Talon Falls Rock Face"


My son and I and a group of new friends were paddling down the Mattawa like Big Joe Mufferaw in mid June 2016. There was a lot of painting material to be discovered around every bend in the historic Mattawa, the "junction of waterways" or the "river with walls that echo its current". We took the southern route and had the time of our lives! There was enough water to run all of the rapids except of course for the major falls. 

We were just about to head down the Mattawa after our portage of Talon Falls. This rock just downstream from Talon Falls had a lot of character and it caught my eye. I included the tip of one of our yellow canoes at the end of the portage. I decided against including more canoes as it distracted from the simpler composition and the geology of the rock face. I used a very smooth and slippery surface and had a lot of fun with even more oil paint. 

There was a lot of beautiful subject matter along the Mattawa River although most of it required the vantage point of the canoe. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...