Thursday, January 28, 2021

#2444 "Flippant Sunflowers"


I was called Flip Flop as a child as I was always running and tumbling and falling. This title is in memory of my childhood nickname and also in the happy and loose way I worked on this painting of the sunflowers. 

The word "flippant" also did something of a flip-flop shortly after it appeared in English in the late 16th century. The word was probably created from the verb flip, which in turn may have originated as an imitation of the sound of something flipping. The earliest meanings of the adjective were "nimble" and "limber." All of these meanings apply to me: the way I worked on the painting and the sunflowers themselves. Flippant also describes the subject matter as I flipped the image horizontally from the first go at them in when I painted #2439 "Wendy's Sunflowers". I simply wanted to have fun. I also wanted to use the abundant oils that I had squeezed out for my earlier sunflower paintings - waste not, want not. 

Sunflowers are the perfect inspiration during the shortest days and longest nights of the year as well as the darkest days of the COVID-19 Pandemic. A quiet period due to a pandemic apparently worked for Newton and Leonardo da Vinci


Quiet can be good when surrounded by nature and your thoughts.  

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...