Saturday, March 6, 2021

#2456 "Singleton Sugar Maple Trail"


I enjoyed the best part of the day in the Sanctuary of the Singleton Forest. A winter storm was on the way and the deformation zone and cirrostratus were clearly evident on the western horizon. I decided not to go very far as there was not a moment to lose. 

I positioned the easel in the shadows of the two sugar maples that I had painted earlier in the week as #2453 "January Sugar Maple Siblings". The tracks of deer, turkeys, coyotes and fox were everywhere in the snowy landscape. I liked how the shadows climbed the marble ridge. The thick forest of the provincially significant wetland was beyond that ridge and provided the backdrop . The clear blue of the winter sky was behind that. 

The tapping of a pileated woodpecker kept me in the rhythm of the brush strokes. The turkey flock cackled a few times probably requesting some more corn. The nuthatches were also busy. The forest is never quiet but is bustling with activity. 

The main sugar maple along the trail was smaller than both of my friends which were casting their shadows. The tree measured 86 inches (more than 7 feet) in circumference at 3 feet above the ground. This circumference relates to a diameter of almost 2.3 feet. 

The skies were overcast altostratus by the time I finished the painting. I am very old school when it comes to art. I have seen some beautiful images on the Web. Computer applications can apparently take any photograph and turn them into a Van Gogh or a Monet or whatever the user prefers, with just a click of the mouse. Oh my. I struggle to express myself with the oils and the brush strokes and often, am not successful in doing so. This reminds me of the story of Ada Lovelace, one of the innovators of the computer revolution. Ada was unequivocal: "Only when computers originate things should they be believed to have minds". Alan Turing called this "Ada's Objection". These are important people in the history of computer science and sadly, they are often overlooked. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...