Saturday, December 10, 2022

#2720 "Singleton Cirrostratus November Sunset"

#2720 "Singleton Cirrostratus November Sunset"
12x10 by 1/2 inch depth oils on panel

The cirrostratus was approaching from the west in broad bands. I considered the broad swaths of cirrostratus as Langmuir streaks parallel to the warm conveyor belt flow. There were embedded gravity waves perpendicular to the streaks. The wavelength of these gravity waves was quite long so I diagnosed them as swells implying that the centre of the weather system was still far away in space at least a day away in time. 

Water Vapour View at the time of the Sunset
The cloud bands were drifting slowly toward the south and curved gently in that direction as well. Using my Coriolis hand and curling my fingers in the direction of that curvature, forced me to point my right thumb downward. The air was descending within the anticyclonic companion of the conveyor belt conceptual model. That helped to explain why there was only a minimal amount of cirrostratus to cloud the sunset. 

The surface winds were light northwesterlies and chilly. These winds placed Singleton within the cold air mass. The system when it arrived, would likely bring snow. 

The forecast weather for the next sunset 24 hours in the future
The preceding description deciphers the words written in cloud script on the sky tablet. I have read the "cirrostratus coming at us" story before many times so I had a pretty good idea of how it would end. It is not difficult with some practice and I encourage everyone to slow down and give it a try. The sky and weather are big parts of nature and like proposed Thoreau, it can be a healthy and low-footprint lifestyle. 

From an artistic point I view, I quite enjoy the subtle greens and yellows within the sunset shades of cirrostratus. That was enough reason for me to remember the view in oils on a very slippery surface. I made a bunch of these panels a few years back and they were more than ready to be used. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...