Friday, February 17, 2023

#1371 "Jim Day Reflections"

#1371 "Jim Day Reflections"
8x10 inches oils on canvas

It was a mild December day in 2013 and I had some time to paint after my chores were done. I decided to head down to the edge of Jim Day Rapids. The lone female merganser was still diving around to keep me company. I was in the artistic zone when something quite large startled me with a huge splash at the ice's edge. I probably startled it even more. It might have been either the otter or beaver that I had watched earlier in the morning. The bluebirds were still hanging around even though there had been some frigid, winter weather.  

I was interested in the grey colours of the sky, distant trees and snow. The warm shades of the exposed marble at the water's edge were the only hints of warmth in this view of my swimming hole. No swimming for me until the middle of next May. A chilly east breeze developed ahead of an approaching system. My hands got really cold and that cold conveyor belt hastened my painting along. 

From Art our local historian: "We don't know who Jim Day was or how his name got attached to the rapids. There was a James Day and Caleb Day enumerated in the 1810 census of Rear of Leeds & Lansdowne, but I don't know where they were located, or if that is the Jim Day that the rapid is named after. In many cases there were squatters and tenants who lived on other people's property, so they never appear in the land records. So a Jim Day may have lived there, but there is no record." 

There is considerable history to accompany the rapids. I still occasionally find old bottles and artifacts at the bottom. 

Historic Map of Jem Day Rapids possibly dates from 1795
when a canal route from Ottawa to the St Lawrence or Lake Ontario
 was being investigated. The map is very accurate and the reference
 is not to Jim Day.
The truth may never be known but the history is fascinating. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...