Monday, May 1, 2023

#2759 "Singleton March Snow Red Cedar Boughs"

#2759 "Singleton March Snow Red Cedar Boughs"
10x8 inches oils on canvas

I wanted to capture the snowfall at Singleton. A major Nor-Easter storm was headed northeastward across the Maritimes and Singleton was on the western flank. 

The snow was laden on the boughs of the red cedars. I could stay out of the wind if I remained tucked in close to the forest. The location worked for a while but then the snow started to fall heavier and the northerly winds increased. My bare painting hand started to feel the effects of the wind chill which hurried me along. 

The flock of turkeys was disturbed when I went out with my easel and I felt guilty. They lined up and vacated the area following the trail I had prepared on the edge of the Provincially Significant Wetland. It was not very long until they returned. They apparently realized that I might be weird but was totally harmless. Henny Penny was the first to come along and came to get a closer look at what I was working on. She was more of a solitary hen. The rest of the flock retraced their path along the trail and returned to feed on the corn that we had put out for them and the other birds. I could hear them clucking and chuckling as they enjoyed the Singleton Sanctuary and what it had to offer. 

The calls of the red-breasted woodpecker made me smile. I always thought that it was a tree frog until Linda looked it up and convinced me otherwise. 

The snow kept coming down and mixed in with the oils turning them into the consistency of oatmeal. I expected this and quite enjoy the different textures when it happened before. I was done within an hour - both the painting and my hand. Plein air is always good fun. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...