Thursday, June 1, 2023

#2770 "Spring Morning Privy"

#2770 "Spring Morning Privy"
8x10 oils on canvas May 22nd, 2023

I had not painted since April 8th and I was long overdue. Spring chores take precedence over art. The bugs would soon be out and biting fiercely so I decided to avail myself of the opportunity. I had to rediscover my mojo and the best place to do that was in the Singleton Sanctuary surrounded by nature. The forest filtered the early morning light. 

I thought that I might get inspired by the Pioneer Outhouse and the morning light filtered through the developing, leafy canopy of green. I had painted this composting toilet several times before. So far, the privy can be seen in #2473 "Singleton Pioneer Privy", #2485 "Singleton Private Place" and #2755 "Singleton Sanctuary October Johnny on the Spot". 

The pioneers arrived in the 1800s and actually had a very sensible way to deal with waste. This is essentially an early type of simple composting toilet. The downside was that it was a hike from the cabin and there was no running water except in Jim Day Rapids. It was built on the shoulder of the ridge so it was not as prone to flooding - never a good thing if you have business to get done. 

Apparently, the history of indoor toilets actually goes back to medieval castles. A picture is worth a thousand words. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...