Thursday, August 22, 2019

#0506 "Behind the Cold Front"

This painting could also be called sunny breaks as it depicts in oils exactly what sunny breaks should look like. This sky was behind the second cold front of the day and although there were some energetic cumulus in the sea of stratocumulus, there wasn't anything to give more than just a sprinkle. Shafts of virga did reach toward the ground but mostly evapourated in the cooler and drier air. Clearing skies were only a few hours of continued subsidence away.

I added the title and date in different ink when
I got home and discovered what day it actually was...
I was enjoying a week of painting, canoeing and camping by myself. The kids were back in school and no one else could get the holiday time to come with me. I worked a lot of over-time as a meteorologist. I always said "yes" to the replacement plea from the office. The big storms were always the ones that seemed to draw me to the Ontario Storm Prediction Centre. Storms both large and small always had something to teach and I was always eager to learn.

No one has figured out how to tax personal time off yet and I took all of that over-time as time off. I made sure to spend most of that on the family but a few days were spent painting too.

I had just set up camp on the south end of the large island on McCrae Lake. It was idyllic and there was no one else on the lake beside the loons.

This sky is from mid afternoon Tuesday September 12th, 2000. Stratocumulus cloud produces one of the most dramatic skyscapes possible but little in the way of weather.

 For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.
  For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...