Saturday, January 28, 2023

#1830 "Maple Cove"

#1830 "Maple Cove"
8x10 oils on smooth panel

The day was still young when I finished #1829 "Red Oak Sunrise". I try not to over-work paintings now. You can kill the spontaneity with a thousand strokes. I feel the fewer strokes, the better. 

These large soft maples were in decline. The nearest tree has multiple stems and none of them were really healthy. Apparently, the life span of a red maple tree is between 100 and 300 years. A sugar maple tree typically makes it to 300 years, although sugar maples can live up to 400 years. Silver maples may grow fast but only last between 100 and 125 years. The good news is that these trees which must be nearing 300 years of age, were not tall enough to hit the home when they do eventually fall. I did not include the home in the painting. I call that artistic licence. 

This cove is untouched and completely natural. All kinds of creatures use the protected bay for food and shelter. Beavers routinely harvest the smaller trees that I have not wrapped in wire. The shoreline needs some trees to keep the soil and provide shade. 

There was almost no tooth to this smooth panel so I simply laid the oils in thick and heavy and left them to rest. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels.

Warmest regards and keep your paddle in the water,

Phil Chadwick


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark"

#2854 "Eastern Meadowlark" 14x18 inches oils on canvas Started April 19th, 2024 Sadly, I rarely see a meadowlark anymore within th...