Monday, November 27, 2017

#2029 "Killarney Red Rocks"

The 2017 Southampton Art School Annual Adventure was carrying on the legacy of my friend and artist Jane Champagne. This was the fifth demonstration painting and the second of Day 2 of the Plein Air Paint Out. After completing #2028 "Windy Red Rock Bay Morning" I focused my gaze on a grouping of large red shoals just in front of me. I didn't have to move a bit. I wanted to stay very close to the participants so that I could share suggestions while still let them see what I might be doing. Learning is an interactive process and it goes both ways.
Rocky ledges like this one would have been dangerous for canoes in Shebahonaning. Shebahonaning was Killarney's original name and means "safe canoe passage" as long as you do not venture into the rocky shoals of Lighthouse Lake. It was windy enough to turn several large boats back into the shelter of Killarney Channel. These boats charged out into Georgian Bay with large motors hanging off the transom only to return a short while later to the relative shelter of Shebahonaning. The swells and waves in the exposed southerly fetch were boiling around the rocky shores and shoals of Red Rock Bay.

#2029  "Killarney Red Rocks" on Pixels.com.

  Click to go to Chadwick Art... Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay"

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay" 14x18 inches oils on stretched canvas  Started Friday March 29th, 2024  The titl...