Thursday, November 30, 2017

#2032 "Windy Wet Ridge Overlooking George Lake"

The 2017 Southampton Art School Annual Adventure was carrying on the legacy of my friend and artist Jane Champagne. This was the eighth demonstration painting and the first one of Day 3 of the Plein Air Paint Out.

We had long anticipated the passage of the cold front and the two or three hours of stratiform rain which typically follows such a squall line. So we shifted our painting day back a couple of hours. I still arrived early at Killarney Provincial Park after having made arrangements with the Ranger the previous afternoon. They knew that we were coming and that Campsite 77 was our destination.
I had a good start on my demonstration piece by the time they arrived. They had maps and directions to Campsite 77 but I had hung my pale and pigment stained painting shirt on a tree limb by the access point. I thought that my shirt would be a unique sign in order to make it easier to find our painting location. It was still spitting rain and even though I had coated the canvas with linseed oil, the paints were still sliding around. The morning was very windy and wet in the cold advection behind the cold frontal trough. We had come to Killarney to paint though and a little inclement weather was not going to deter us.

This is the view looking northwestward from the cliff across the basin of George Lake and to the quartzite mountains of La Cloche in the distance.
  Click to go to Chadwick Art... Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay"

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay" 14x18 inches oils on stretched canvas  Started Friday March 29th, 2024  The titl...