Monday, December 18, 2017

#2043 "Oxtongue Sunrise"

I was staying at the White Birches Cottages on Oxtongue Lake in support of the Oxtongue Lake Arts and Culture September 2017. There was a request for a couple of presentations of the Art and Science of Tom Thomson so I gladly obliged. The presentations went very well even though it was a really hot day for late September. Myself and the attendees sweated more than just a little bit.

On the Sunday morning after the presentation I was out for an early morning wade and swim in the still pleasant waters of Oxtongue Lake. This is the view looking northeast toward the early morning sun from out in the lake at 7:30 am on Sunday the 24th of September 2017. There was no one else around. I was up to my waist in the lake and it would have been challenging to position my easel from this vantage point. There was some morning fog cloaking the distant hillsides. The Muskoka chairs were still empty.

In the autumn of 2017 I had been on a drought from painting. A lingering cold and cough plus the chores and getting ready for the coming winter got in the way of the easel. I started up this painting in the Singleton Studio on Sunday November 19th, 2017 to try to get back into the groove. This is a very smooth and slippery surface. The paint was old and thick and thus the brush strokes are very textured - just the way I like them.
 Click to go to Chadwick Art... Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2845 "Female Snowy Owl"

#2845 "Female Snowy Owl" 18x14 oils on stretched canvas Started Saturday, February 17th, 2024 This female snowy owl had a whimsica...