Thursday, January 4, 2018

#2051 "Tree Tunnel Sunrise"

My bride wanted a portrait of our lane with snow and shadows and trees. I thought that I should do a few small ones before committing to a much larger canvas. I went for a stroll in the nearly 30 centimetres of powdery snow looking for possible candidates for this adventure. An Alberta Clipper crossed southern Ontario with a swath of snow. Snowfall warnings were not issued. In reality, this was a Prairie Schooner which is a slower Clipper. Due to interactions with the Great Lakes and the further deepening of the low pressure centre associated with increased advections, warning criteria snowfalls are almost a certainty with Prairie Schooners. Numerical models tend to miss these events. It had snowed another 10 centimetres overnight.

This is the view looking northeast from the southern entrance to the Tree Tunnel in Long Reach Lane from the day after #2050 "Singleton Tree Tunnel". I went for another walk. Those are my tracks in the snow from the day before. The lane was still impassable for all but my tractor. The forest was too silent to be real to quote Gordon Lightfoot. I would leave the laneway blocked for another day or so as I had no plans to go anywhere. Life is good.

I painted this on a very smooth and slippery surface using lots of oil.
 Click to go to Chadwick Art... Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay"

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay" 14x18 inches oils on stretched canvas  Started Friday March 29th, 2024  The titl...