Thursday, April 12, 2018

#0017 "Conch Shell"

This was step number 17 on my artistic journey from the summer of 1973...
This is a still-life using Mario's Queen Conch shell, a starfish and some drift-wood. Starfish or sea stars do not have a brain. They only have a primitive nervous system. Starfish also lack any blood and instead use sea water to pump things around their bodies. There are over 1500 different species of sea star. Most sea stars are predators eating mussels, clams, and occasionally small fish.

My artistic journey was just beginning and this was as good a step to take as any. It was step number 17. The colours and values of the various components offered lots of opportunities to learn the oils. Meanwhile at Queens I was going into my second year of Nuclear Physics and quite enjoying quantum mechanics...

As you can see from the thin cirrostratus in the sky I was still working on my meteorology. Looking back I can still see the wave action and deformation processes in those clouds. I do forget where I saw those clouds but I must have painted what I saw.
 For this and much more art...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...