Sunday, May 13, 2018

#0027 "Rosebuds"

Step number 27 on my artistic and science journey from the autumn of 1975..
These rosebuds were for Linda in the months after we were married. My Dad always brought home flowers on Friday after work. I should have kept that practice going. Perhaps I felt that I could not contribute to the premature surmise of a something beautiful before its time.

We were still both at Queens completing the fourth year of our degrees. Apparently I still made time to paint. I was interested to try to capture the way dew drops appeared on flowers. This effort was my very first attempt. Just dew it.

The answer was to simply paint what you see and to remember that everything is composed merely of shapes, tones, colour and texture. If you record what you see then the image must be correct even if you might not understand the optics and rules of reflection and refraction. Nature does all of the mathematics and physics for you. It was not quantum mechanics or rocket surgery.

I would apply these very same principles plus size in the analysis and diagnosis of both satellite and radar images when I was hired just a few months later by Atmospheric Environment and Services (AES). AES was later incorporated into Environment Canada. Atmospheric processes produce characteristic moisture patterns that reveal many details about the scale, intensity and impacts of the phenomena. The size, shape and sharpness of any boundary in the atmosphere further reveals the contrast between differing processes. The science of deformation zones was being born even in 1975. It occurred to me that the study of emerging observations made by both radar and satellite was the very same as my examination of how dew drops appeared on a rose. These thoughts and concepts were still blooming in 1975 but clearly art and science were the same thing.

Looking back I forget where my studio was at the Van Order Drive married students apartments in Kingston. It was probably the kitchen table using my aluminum easel. I also do not recall when I found time to paint but I must have. The physics courses were certainly not trivial.
 For these roses and much more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...