Friday, June 8, 2018

#0064 "Cold and Lonely"

From the winter of 1977-1978...

This was an abandoned home in Chezzetcook, Nova Scotia during the winter of 1977-1978. This was once a proud home but people move on I guess. This cold scene made me feel very nostalgic. I forget whether this was East Chezzetcook, Head of Chezzetcook, Lower East Chezzetcook, or West Chezzetcook. The rugged coast of Nova Scotia naturally divides the close knit communities.
I was still learning about the weather of the Maritimes and as much as I could about real meteorology. Winter weather was even more challenging than fog. The frontal zone would align along a northeast to southwest orientation along the length of Nova Scotia. Abundant cold and dry winter air to the northwest contrasted sharply with warm and moist air over the Atlantic. The lack of friction and the release of latent heat over the ocean would fuel some vigourous storms that would then ripple along the frontal boundary every few days in the winter. I updated the 1955 work of J. J. George who studied this important forecast problem. His work was just as applicable in 1978 before satellite and radar data became readily available. My update of George's work got good reviews even though I found out that people thought the the author was dead...

The science of winter storms was still elusive even if there had been a few successful forecasts. Never stop learning...

I would have painted this in the guest bedroom on the southwest corner of our apartment in the Woodlawn Mall area of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. My studio was in the extreme corner and the sewing area on the opposite wall when guests were not visiting.
 For this and much more art...


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...