Monday, September 17, 2018

#2120 "Gargantua Harbour Ranger Cabin"

I was camping at the Agawa Bay Campground right on the eastern shore of Lake Superior. For my second day on the eastern shores of Lake Superior I wanted to thoughtfully retrace the steps of some artists and paddlers that I admire.

The guy at the Lake Superior Provincial Park Visitors Centre said it was beautiful at the end of Gargantua Harbour. It sounded nice ... a big Harbour with maybe some old fishing buildings and the rusted hulls of old fishing vessels and maybe a pier. Certainly there had to be something to paint. The guy said the road was bad. I said I had a Subaru Forester. He said no problems. The road was really bad maybe especially after the tropical rainfall. I had to pull a tree off the road but the scenery would be worth it I said. The guy said the road was 15 km long... seemed longer and rougher. The guy didn't say anything about the no cars allowed for the last 2 kilometres on the lane to the Harbour. I must not break any rules and plus the subject matter would be worth it.
The two kilometre trek seemed longer. Only moose and a bear and a big truck with big tires had used the road. It was now 6:30 am and I had planned to start painting at 6 am.
I could see the water through the trees. I went down to the lake and it was nice but no derelict ships or piers. The rutted road continued and so did I. I got to Gargabtua Harbour but it wasn't very big... a lot of trees and a long abandoned rangers cabin. I retrieved a fishing lure from a stream.

I was painting away and a guy suddenly emerged from the bush about 200 yards further west and stared at me like I was an alien. About 5 minutes later a gaggle of teenagers did the same thing and returned back into the bush. Strange for being so remote.

After another five minutes two teenage girls walked down the beach to see the weird artist. Apparently they were on an outdoor Education Course from a Timmin's high school. They rode a big yellow school bus right tot the campsite with all of their gear. Perhaps I am pretty stupid to obey any signs and rules. That explained the big truck tire tracks in the lane.

I did four small sketches numbered 2120 up to 2123... I had to have something to show for the adventure...
 For this and much more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay"

#2849 "Wood Ducks Standing on the Log By the Bay" 14x18 inches oils on stretched canvas  Started Friday March 29th, 2024  The titl...