Friday, December 7, 2018

#2192 "Legion of Sunflowers"

The Lyndhurst Rejuvenation Committee (https://www.lyndhurstvillage.ca/) decided to scale up their efforts in support of Culture Days. More artists of all stripes were involved. Maps were produced. The events and activities were well advertised.
After all was said and done, Lyndhurst was a Runner-up in its category. Well-done! Terri Dawson of the Green Geko is the Chair of this important group.
It would seem that the Lyndhurst Rejuvenation Committee is on the right track. At one time Lyndhurst was the busiest place around with industry and a bright future.

It is quite impossible to say just how busy any of these cultural events might be in advance. Attendance depends on a multitude of factors. The weather is likely the biggest factor. Other competing events are a challenge as well. I went to my assigned location at the Canadian Legion prepared to keep myself busy painting. I did not know that there were also going to be musicians performing. They played terrific guitar music for the afternoon so I was pleasantly occupied all day long. Wow.

I headed outside the Lyndhurst Royal Canadian Legion looking for something to paint. I did not wish to wander far as someone painting outside on a cold and windy day might be a draw to the artistic event. A group of sunflowers caught my eye. A few people came by to watch me paint including my cousins, Patrick Johnson the musician as well as Mark Jamison who was running for Council in 2018 (successfully). I had fun and I hope Vincent would be pleased with my sunflowers. I enjoy painting flowers. I have being trying to lay one stroke down and then leaving it alone until the canvas is all covered. The approach is simple but does it work?

Historically a legion was a unit of 3000 to 6000 men in the ancient Roman army. Technically a legion is now just a large number. The synonyms of legion are interesting and include horde, throng, multitude, host, crowd, mass, mob, gang, swarm, flock, herd, score, army, pack and so on. I used the word Legion out of respect for the Royal Canadian Legion which is a non-profit Canadian veterans' organization founded in 1925 after the First World War. Society owes everything to the veterans. I have the gift of being able to paint in peace. There were only a half dozen sunflowers in my composition so perhaps I was exaggerating a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2845 "Female Snowy Owl"

#2845 "Female Snowy Owl" 18x14 oils on stretched canvas Started Saturday, February 17th, 2024 This female snowy owl had a whimsica...