Thursday, January 17, 2019

#2209 "Spring at Pine Island"

I was out for a paddle around Singleton Lake on Saturday April 28th, 2018. I was on my way back around midday and looking for rainy day subject matter for the studio. I always like the trees on this point of land jutting out into Singleton Lake. The sky was overcast stratus and the winds were light - perfect for paddling. I include the bow of my canoe "Margaritaville" in the painting to help tell the story. There is nothing quite as quiet and relaxing as a paddle around the lake. I can paddle silently in the canoe whereas the kayak strokes make a bit of noise.

This is the same point I painted in 1713 "December Morn" , #1714 "White Pine Island" and #1908 "Cirrious Stories". Mr Singleton who had is farm just southwest of Singleton Lake also had a structure on this island. Apparently Mr Singleton kept his dairy cows on our land which is quite a row from the shore across Singleton Lake to the far rocky point. He would row across this expanse twice a day and return with his pails of milk.
The remains of the roof of his shed on "Pine Island" is all that remains of the structure where he kept his boat and whatever other supplies he required. There were a few of the old square nails still in the roof trusses.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you!
 For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...