Thursday, February 21, 2019

# 0305 "The Morning Cloud - Tom Thomson"

I greatly admire the work of Tom Thomson. The art of Tom Thomson has inspired generations of painters. Tom once said "I'll stick to painting as long as I can." never knowing the impact of his brush strokes.
His friend A.Y. Jackson said "Not knowing all of the conventions of beauty, he (Tom Thomson) found it all beautiful". Jackson also said that "artists are often excellent businessmen. They have to be. Otherwise they do not remain artists." Some things never change. Fortunately for me, I also found meteorology.

My son Keith was doing a project on Tom Thomson. I thought I might inspire his project a bit if I also painted some of the art that he found in his reference books". I also thought Tom wouldn't mind if I did a miniature quasi-copy or three. It is odd that in painting and even in displaying a couple of pieces of art that two is never enough. So I did three in this Thomson Trilogy.

I really like the weather subject matter and the original was well beyond my reach. "The Morning Cloud" was painted by Tom Thomson (28 1/4x 39 7/8). From the scene, an inactive cold front (katabatic) must have gone through just before dawn. The sharp back edge is the deformation zone formed by the stretching of the cold, descending air in the cold air advection behind the front. The wave action suggests moderate winds which would be typical behind a cold front early in the day or overnight. From the colour of the forest, it must be late summer and Tom must have been looking east-southeast. I have presented many times about the science in the art of Tom Thomson. In fact, Tom was a weather fan...

This is third partner painting in the Thomson Trilogy along with #0304 "Evening, Canoe Lake" and #0306 "Snow". I had reserved another pieces of wood to paint on.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you!
 For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2845 "Female Snowy Owl"

#2845 "Female Snowy Owl" 18x14 oils on stretched canvas Started Saturday, February 17th, 2024 This female snowy owl had a whimsica...