Thursday, April 4, 2019

#2215 "Snowy Singleton Sunset"

I had already started work on #2214 "Shades of Singleton Sunset". A combination of the excitement of Christmas and a very persistent and bad cold had kept me from painting since Sunday December 16th, 2018. I felt rusty. I decided to grab another panel to see how the colours would mix and to loosen up the brushes. I still had a few of these rough panels in my canoe plein air packs and thought they would be perfect to test a few techniques.

The scene is identical to that for #2214 "Shades of Singleton Sunset" but the surface and the techniques were a bit different. I did both of these paintings at roughly the same time. The painting was all about the colours of the setting sun across the frozen snow surface of Singleton Lake and the contrast with the reflection of the fading light in the open water of Jim Day Rapids. Every colour of the rainbow was evident and white was the least important of all of these. Snow and ice are anything but white. It felt good to get the brushes limbered up again. I enjoy painting on rough surfaces and getting away from the details that always seem to draw me in... so to speak.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.
 For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...