Sunday, April 5, 2020

#2324 "Parry Sound Rocky Mound"

The title of a painting typically comes to me as I stroke the oils. What can one say about a rock? Plenty! I have read and reread about the geology and history of rocks. It is very interesting but I typically forget it all and am equally fascinated when I read it again. The rounded shape of this island made me think of the word "mound" - a rounded mass projecting above a surface. The colourful swirls in this particular mound is what really caught my eye. Here is why.

The patterns in the rock reminded me of my artist friend Ed Bartram. Ed lived in King City near Schomberg and Watershed Farm on the 12th Conccesion of King Township. This painting is my small remembrance of an artist who shared in the joy of the Georgian Bay rocks and the archipelago. The rocky swirls gave the painting both a rhyme and a rhythm. Ed gave me an autographed copy of his book, Rockscapes. I gave Ed a copy of my Weather of Ontario.

The 30,000 Islands of the Parry Sound Archipelago have an interesting legend. Kitchikewana was a god large and powerful enough to guard all of Georgian Bay. Alas, this god had a bad temper. His tribe felt that Kitchikewana was in need of a wife to calm him down. The tribe held a party with prospectus brides. Kitchikewana was smitten by a lady named Wanakita. The god started planning the wedding after the party but apparently did not tell Wanakita. When the wedding was ready, Kitchikewana invited his beloved to return but Wanakita told him that she was already engaged. The enraged Kitchikewana destroyed the wedding preparations.
More importantly he grabbed a huge ball of earth and threw it toward present day Parry Sound thus creating the Thirty Thousand Islands. The indentations left behind by old Kitchi's fingers form the five bays of Georgian Bay: Midland Bay, Penetang Bay, Hog Bay, Sturgeon Bay, and Matchedash Bay. Kitchikewana then laid down and still sleeps on Giant's Tomb Island.
A large statue of Kitchikewana can be found on the main street of Penetanguishene.

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...