Sunday, July 19, 2020

#2358 "Singleton Summer Cirrious Sunset"

In mid May a large cold low was spinning like a toy top over Tennessee. Inches of rain had been dropped over the Appalachians. It was a very serious storm to the south.

Singleton was under the anticyclonic companion of the warm conveyor belt. It was dry. Bands of cirrus criss-crossed the sunset sky. Those thin cirrus Langmuir streaks pointed toward the northeast. There were also some subtle gravity waves embedded in the Langmuir streaks that revealed the wind in the atmospheric frame of reference. Gravity waves are an important clue to unravel what was going on in the checkerboard sky. The cloud edges stretching perpendicular to the Langmuir streaks were deformation zones. This kind of sky would make me scratch my head but every line had a story to tell. The atmosphere always made sense but the job of the meteorologist was to discover what it was saying. In this case the sky was saying to relax and take another sip.

The songs in the James Taylor play list all seemed to be about the sky and daydreaming. They were perfect for my frame of mind as I had fun capturing another COVID Singleton sunset in oils. The lyrics all meant something to me and were true. For example "the sky is a blackboard" lyric can be found in "Teach Me Tonight".

"Starting with the A,B,C of it
Right down to the X,Y,Z of it
Help me solve the mystery of it
Teach me tonight"

I smiled as I painted. Life is good. For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...