Friday, September 4, 2020

#2377 "Circular Thunderstorms"

My Mother-in-law used to insist that thunderstorms would circle around to come at you again. As if individual cumulonimbus clouds were sentient beings that knew exactly where you in particular lived. Further more, these circling storms had intent on raining on your parade. I always smiled. Once does not discuss meteorology with your Mother-in-law. Even as a severe weather meteorologist who specialized in such things, you knew you had to lose any such discussion. I try to never argue. No one wins those debates either - even if you are right and they are wrong. Better to just smile. You are unlikely to change the world anyway. Convection tends to be circular in space but they definitely do not circle around to come back at you again in time.

This was the second row of thunderstorms of the afternoon of the anniversary of D-Day. They were not as vigourous as the first round as is quite typical in these multiple lines of convection. There was still some mammatus formation in the underside of the back anvil but even that was less pronounced. I painted what I saw.

There was a third line of convection as well and these cells were weaker still. Weather is fun and I always tried to humour my Mother-in-law. She was a fine lady and we had fun!

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing"

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing" 20x16 inches oils on canvas. Start Monday, April 15th, 2024 I could almost hear the song of the sparrow ...