Tuesday, September 15, 2020

#2381 "Trefoil Garland"

 


Paradise is never far away if you know where to look. There were still no clouds in sight so I simply moved the easel just a bit to the south for another view of my natural lawn. I actually started the lawn with a thorough planting of white clover as the basis. Everybody likes white clover especially the birds and the bees. I am not a fan of cutting lawns but the birds like the phoebe and bluebirds really prefer to hunt over short grass. Ticks also prefer the tall grass where the deer graze during the day. At night the deer come in to eat the clover. Bears prefer to walk on the cut grass but graze the seed heads of the taller grasses that border the lawn. So a bit of cut grass gives everyone a meal. Otherwise I plant trees. 


With time other flowers have spread into the lawn and I do not discourage that. I try to work with nature rather than vainly try to control it. I thought that this ring of flowers was kind of like a wreath decorating the rocky part of the lawn. Trefoil was the predominate flower so it became the name of the decorative garland. Apparently plants having leaves divided into three leaflets are commonly referred to as trefoil. My honey bees turned the nectar of the yellow bird's-foot trefoil into the most delicious honey. I was happy to see it bloom and flourish in the lawn. Some might consider it a weed but I see otherwise. I let nature plant our flower gardens. I believe that it is best to work with nature rather than to try to constrain the natural world into boxes. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing"

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing" 20x16 inches oils on canvas. Start Monday, April 15th, 2024 I could almost hear the song of the sparrow ...