Saturday, February 20, 2021

#2451 "Snow Morning at Jim Day Rapids"


I wanted to loosen up my brushwork. Plein air is the best way to do that for me and I wanted to experience the muted light of nature first hand. I was also using a smooth panel and that helps to fauve up the brush work as well. I did not look at the weather details. 

The overcast skies could do almost anything in the winter. The winds were calm and it was wonderful to paint outside surrounded by the sounds of nature. Ravens could be heard. Squirrels chattered at me as well. The ice made a lot of noise probably as a result of the water being drained from the Gananoque River system. There was a noticeable drop and quite a current at Jim Day Rapids and I could hear the rush of the water. 

After a while, snow started to fall. A southwesterly wind developed. The snow fell harder and reduced the visibility across the lake. My bare hands started to notice the windchill. I painted faster. It snowed harder still. Meltwater coated the smooth panel. I painted even faster. I could still feel my fingers when I finished. They felt cold. If I had checked the weather, I would probably not have started to paint and that could have been a mistake. Snowsqualls off Lake Ontario are very predictable but I am retired now. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

#2851 "Water Stalker"

#2851 "Water Stalker" 20x16 inches oils on canvas Started April 10th, 2024 A very large great blue heron was on the rocky shore of...