Monday, May 24, 2021

#2477 "Three Amigo Canoes at Sunset"


A couple of Boston really liked #2065 "Summer Cirrus" which was based on a photo taken from my kayak at 8:45 pm on Friday July 28th, 2017 Singleton Lake. I featured that painting on a recent Science Blog. The gravity waves and lines of cirrus are what attracted me to this painting. My new friends from Boston inspired me to paint this alternative version of that summer sky and I decided to feature some canoes. 

This name came to me while I was painting away. I still had a long way to go but the canoes spoke to me. This is Canadiana to the core. The name is also reminiscent of a silly 1986 movie that I have yet to see. The movie was very popular. I appreciate the humour of Steve Martin and Chevy Chase and Martin Short is a Canadian who can hold his own in that crowd. I was coaching the kid's soccer in Schomberg at the time the movie was released. The boys on Keith's team thought I looked like Steve Martin because of my premature, white hair. Steve Martin's character was apparently "Lucky Day" - appropriate. Steve Martin would later promote the art of Lawren Harris. 

I often use more than the one large studio palette so that I can keep my oils clean. I actually used three palettes at one time on this large canvas. Yellow is one of those colours that can turn other oils instantly grey - and not typically in a good way. The blues of the sky and clouds also deserved special attention. I had all of my shades of blue out to capture the nuances of the weather. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

#2850 "Mrs Blue Bird"

#2850 "Missus Blue Bird" 14 (height) X 18 (width) inches oils on canvas Started April 3rd, 2024 I have constructed several hundred...