Sunday, March 13, 2022

#2607 "Roddick Lane"

#2607 "Roddick Lane"
30 X 20 (inches) by 1.5 inches in depth Gallery wrap

It was a bright and sunny day and the extreme cold warning had just been ended. I wanted to start this large Studio painting before starting plein air in earnest again. 

The Roddick family history with Red Horse Lake and area goes back at least to 1860. My friend Jim married into the Roddick family and was kind enough to include me in his environmental activities including water testing of the lakes, loon platforms and planting trees. Jim told me many stories while we relaxed in the red chairs overlooking Singleton Lake at the end of the day. I wanted to write those tales down but did not wish to miss the moment. I thought of Jim and the Roddick family when I started this nostalgic piece. The world needs more Jims and Roddicks. 

I have met many of the names on this fence gate but certainly not all. When one gets to the cottage, the first thing you normally wish to do is to indulge in the peace and quiet of the beautiful Red Horse Lake environment. 

My goal was to play with the light and shadows as both flitted across the snow banks and deeper into the forest. I wanted everything to dance in time with the brush work. Art is supposed to be fun and maybe tell a story too. 

For this and much more art, click on Pixels. Thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing"

#2853 "Song Sparrow Sing" 20x16 inches oils on canvas. Start Monday, April 15th, 2024 I could almost hear the song of the sparrow ...